Friday, March 13, 2015

A wee book in the making

Making another wee book.
This is the cover of a wee book. You can see it's a hummingbird, painted in watercolor and with acrylic ink details.

Moving in a bit closer, you can see that the paper is heavily textured and a pea-green (my opinion) shade of green. This paper particularly inspired me to join the drawing challenge for this week. It's my ode to spring.

I've not held a paintbrush for many months so am quite the rusty gal here, but if I repainted it I could put into good use, all that I learned from this effort. The paper is so textured (completely hand made by my beloved Canadian paper mill St. Armand in Montreal.) This selection used straw for the plant bits. So the paintbrush travels right over top of the straw and the straw picks up the color from the brush. It's a bit like riding a bucking bronco. It bleeds like there's no tomorrow as well. But I love it. I plan to make a wee Japanese bound (hemp pattern) book with art paper inside. So, this is a small art book let's say.

Thank you to Veronica for inviting me to participate in this drawing challenge. Bye for now, Norma, x

9 comments:

  1. so lovely to have you share with us .
    your wee book is looking wonderful, such a charming bird.
    I have some of their paper, it is different than this, it does have good texture. Wishing you a lovely spring and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. norma, so nice to see you... and your hummingbird! i'm glad you picked up the paintbrush again. : )

    love...





    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Norma! We MUST give ode to spring! Love how you describe all of the materials and their particulars - can't wait to see how this project turns out! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Norma, so glad to see and hear from you, i missed your wee books you know, and your tiny birds, your hummingbird looks very at home on that tactile paper, fine choice!
    wishing you a sunny spring dear, x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Norma! I love your description of painting on the handmade paper: like riding a bucking bronco! Well done, rodeo gal. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice ode to spring. It seems a tough surface to paint on, but the result was successful !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how wonderful that you have picked up your paintbrush and worked your magic with it once again! It is so perfectly beautiful on that amazing paper. I hope you can share the book when it is complete. Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely little book. Just perfect. Love that binding tool too. Keep smiling and creating.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for dropping by and we'll see you soon, I hope, *smiles* Norma

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...